Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Objectivity

Dear Worshippers,

I mentioned last week that I wanted to spend a little time thinking about talents and investments and strengths over the next few weeks. As we do, I think it is important to remember that this is a very important day in the history of our nation. If you have not already done so, take a few moments to pray for the outcome of today’s election that will most honor the Lord and bring people to [and back to] Him…

We have heard a lot about strengths and weaknesses over the last few weeks from our presidential candidates. So much so that most of us are pretty sick of it by now. I heard a very interesting poll last week. [I have heard my share of them as well.] This CNN poll asked viewers how they felt about this statement with regard to the elections: The media has lost all objectivity. The results were a little surprising to me. It indicated that 84% of the respondents agreed with that statement.

I was surprised at first because I expected people to be fairly generous and say that the media still had a little objectivity. But this result coincided with something I learned last week about objectivity. The reality is we tend to be more generous when we are considering our own ability to be objective than we are of others ability. That is, most of us view ourselves as more objective than others, or more capable of seeing things clearly. Think about that for a minute

Objectivity is hard to come by, but essential when trying to examine talents. This examination is critical when making choices about investments that will be made into those talents so they can be built into strengths. I am talking about how you spend your time in your desire to answer God’s call on your life.

How objective are you?

I have been spending a fair amount of time over the last few weeks trying to look objectively at myself and my call. It’s not easy, but it is essential. I want to be excellent in my gifting and deeply satisfied in my calling so I am doing some evaluation of my life and it’s activity. If you do not know what your talents are, how can you elect to invest in them for future development?

Make an investment in the future today. Go vote. And start asking the Lord for the ability to see yourself clearly, objectively.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: