Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Worship Workshop: Recapitulation

Sunday morning retuning:  Forgiveness.  It lies at the heart of our relationship with Christ, available to all who will believe, and ultimately is a crucial practice if we want to maintain the quality of any other relationships, yet for so many it seems so elusive.  Are you walking on forgiveness, or is the mustard seed of faith required to activate it a source of constant irritation?  If you are ready to take the next step, check here for resources to help.
If you asked me to describe our recent Worship Workshop in a word, and some have, it would have to be “WOW!”, and not because I really like alliteration.  I was hopeful for a solid event with good attendance and response, but God exceeded my expectations.  AS I debriefed with Adreanne and Julia last Monday, we agreed that our first was a great success, even as we dreamed about the next.  But before I get ahead of myself, allow me to recap, or recapitulate.
A recapitulation you see is a summary at the end that repeats the substance of a longer discussion.  A recapitulation, musically speaking, is the repetition of themes introduced earlier, especially as one is composing the final part of a movement.  I am hoping our movement, or rather the movement of God we are experiencing, is far from over, but I want to briefly revisit the themes from the workshop so we can be on the same page as we move forward together with Him.
The main theme was One Thing, inspired by Psalm 27:4.  “One thing have I asked of the Lord,/that will I seek after:/that I may dwell in the house of the Lord    all the days of my life,/to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord/and to inquire in his temple.”  David’s one thing is ours as well, to live with a constant awareness of God’s presence, but for us as temples of the Holy Spirit.  As we began, I asked every attender to listen to God for “one thing” that they could do in response to our sessions together that would improve their service to our King.
Then, in addition to two times of musical worship, and fellowship around our meals, we enjoyed sessions where we focused on different aspects of our 1. Worshipper, 2. Leader, and 3. Musician paradigm.  We spent Friday night learning and practicing “spiritual song” [Colossians 3:16-17, Ephesians 5:18b-21], developing this ability so we might be better Leaders.  The breakout sessions Saturday morning gave us a chance to learn and grow as Musicians.  [Thanks to Adreanne Zeleny, guitars, and our guest clinician Tony Brower, bass and drums.]  Before lunch we considered a few factors that impact the quality of our “Private Preparation for Public Ministry” so that we could zero in on growing as Worshippers.  We concluded with a quick listening session for the upcoming recording.
If you were present, I want to remind you of my challenge.  What One Thing are you doing to grow and improve?  If you have not acted on that yet, do it this week before you lose the impetus to do so.  If you were not present, I hope you will join us for our upcoming Night of Worship, Friday, June 13 as we continue to endeavor to stay one step behind Jesus!
Just a quick reminder...At the workshop I mentioned a training site we have access to which provides a lot of great resources for continued individual growth.  See details for that below in my NOTES!!
Jesus, help me to take that next step in growing in my worship leadership.  Whether as a worshipper, leader, or musician, show me what to do, and give me the courage to step out and follow You.  I want to be faithfully following and helping others do the same.  Amen.
In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: