Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What Do You Need to Push Off?

Sunday morning retuning: We were challenged to be on fire for Jesus, but at the same time were warned of some of the potential consequences.  One of these is that people may push you away.  Pastor Myron reminded us that it cost Jesus everything to rescue us, and it will cost us everything to follow Him!


I was drafting this before last nights snowfall, so I am going to stick with it even though all the leaves I still have to rake on either still on trees or covered by snow.  What I was really trying to do for myself and for you is to encourage you to see God’s hand, His fingerprints, all around you.  I saw that this morning as snow glistened off leaves still hanging on trees.



As I was raking leaves on Saturday and supervising my small manual labor crew, my four boys, to assist me, I found myself asking the question, "What's the point of all this?"  All these leaves falling to have to be raked up.  As soon as you rake them there are more.  If you wait until they are all down the job is so difficult!


I pondered, maybe it is like the kernel of wheat Jesus referred to John 12:24, that remains a single seed until falls to the ground and dies.  But that principle is not at work here because leaves do not produce new trees.  Jesus referred to fig leaves in Matthew 24:32 dropping off as a sign that a different season was coming, and that this change signaled an even greater one.  This seemed more on the right track, but did not yet satisfy my soul.  So I went looking for the reasons leaves fall off trees and I found a this article.  As you read it, I want to encourage you to listen for the voice of God and watch for His hand.




Though this is a great scientific explanation of why leaves fall, or get pushed off the branches by trees, there were a few points where the description fails to see the finger of our God, the Designer of the whole process.  Here is the big picture that began to come into focus for me, part of the way I understand God speaking to me is in everyday things like this.  In this instance it occurred to me that God designed these trees from the beginning to do this, and what a beautiful picture of the different seasons on life, and the usefulness of certain things God provides.


Let me give you an example from our lives.  Our youngest has outgrown almost every vestige of baby things; bibs, high chairs, teethers and the like.  One great thing that was useful but no longer necessary was diapers, and the amazing invention that made their disposal simpler, the Diaper Genie.  We used it everyday, many times a day for years in our home, but we do not have one anymore.  Why?  Because we do not need it and keeping a used up diaper disposal tool just does not make sense, especially if it has not been emptied.


You may have never used a diaper genie, but here is the point...Are there things that have been useful in your life for a season but holding on to them no longer proves beneficial and actually could lead to decay and possibly even death?  I think that is the lesson of the leaves.  They proved very beneficial for the trees they served as kitchen staff supplying food in there season.  Keeping them puts the tree at risk for probable death.  


What do you need to let go of so that you do not jeopardize your health and life in your next season, even if it gives every indication it may be a dormant one?  Push it away and prepare for what God has next for you!


Jesus help me to push things away that once served a useful purpose but now pose a threat to my continued health and growth.  Help me to have the faith that You will provide what I need in the next season of my journey with You, as I stay one step behind You.  In Jesus name.  Amen.


In Christ,


Pastor Timothy

No comments: