Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kingdom Assignment

Sunday morning retuning: We have been given an assignment. The Holy Spirit it our teach. The kingdom is our classroom. What will be learn?

We were reminded Sunday, from the parable of the talents [Matthew 25:14-30], of our responsibility to use what the Lord has entrusted to our care for Him. Seems like an obvious and reasonable mandate. God has given us everything we have, so we should use it to complete His command, not only to cater to our comforts.

The elders have been praying for some time about the way this assignment would unfold in the life of our church as this experiment takes place. 50 people with 50 $100 bills. What might God do as more than just those 50 and their families talk to God about being a steward of this gift? Before I left the sanctuary Sunday I had heard a few stories of what God had done already. This is going to be quite and adventure.

I felt compelled last week to take the song that we have sung for baptisms and reorient it to this season. I feel very strongly that some people are going to be changed by this, never the same again. I want to ask you to join me praying for all those folks.

But that’s not all. I am praying for myself in this season, and I want to encourage you to do the same. You see, I do not think I have a comprehensive understanding of this stewardship thing. Actually, I know I do not. And I am equally confident you don not either. How can I be so sure, you ask? Because this side of glory, none of us arrive.

This part of the journey for us as a church is go deepen this understanding. The exciting thing is that this is not just an intellectual exercise, but instead and experiential one. May the Lord use it in our individual lives and the life of our church to take us to a new place in our understanding of not just stewardship, but the kingdom as well. Lord, be glorified.

Jesus, help us to see the things you have given as managers not owners. This changes everything. We want Your kingdom to come and Your will to be done.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: