Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Courting Collisions

Dear Worshippers,

I like Pastor Ed more every time I hear him. As I was praying last week about what the Lord would do next, I wondered how He would use our brothers’ words to challenge us. Not if, but how. And indeed He did.

So we have been challenged to keep our eyes open for sovereign encounters, collisions ordained by God to provide opportunities for an impact on the people around us. I wonder what kind of such opportunities God has already provided for us. Not if, but what kind.

You see, I have begun to expect that God is going to do something in the people who call North-Mar home. I have become so accustomed to such activity that I would be surprised to not hear of God at work in us. But we must continue to be quick to give Him the glory when we see Him at work.

Remember the question, “What are you asking God to do, so that when He does it He alone gets the glory?” I am asking God to continue to move in our church. That will mean that we need to stay open to His activity in our lives.

Even if it means running headlong into some situation for which I might not feel adequately prepared, where I may even fear making a fool of myself or being rejected? Yes, yes. Absolutely yes! Collisions are not calculated endeavors. I have this illustration of automobiles colliding. Generally unintentional. Yet, though unintentional there is no doubt an impact upon all involved.

By definition, a collision is when two or more things come together with solid or direct impact. That is exactly what God has called us to be about at North-Mar Church. Impacting the world. The second part of our purpose statement eludes to who does the impacting; Great Commission Disciples, although we know that it is really God at work in us. For although the collisions may be mostly unintentional, their impact is entirely intentional.

If you follow the logic here, it means that we are unintentionally intentional. I know it seems like a paradox, but only to the extent that we are driving the car, or conducting the train, if you will. You see we are really just along for the ride. Jesus is in control. He is the intention behind our apparent unintention. We are not truly unintentional, though at times it may appear that way. We are simply surrendered to the reign of One who is sovereignly orchestrating the affairs of this world to bring them to their ordained conclusion.

Church, Daddy is driving this car. It has been an exciting ride lately. Not always the path we would have chosen if given the opportunity, but none of us can navigate like He can. So if you find yourself in some collisions this week, let me know. I love hearing how God is moving. Holy Spirit, get us ready to make the impact you desire when the collisions occur.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: