Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Never Be the Same Again, Verse Two

Dear Worshippers,

As God continues to tell His story through me, I am overwhelmed at the response. When I reflect on all that God has done in me through this illness I am amazed. What is truly humbling though is how God is using it in the lives of others. To God alone be the glory!

I have had numerous people tell me that they find themselves singing our “Soak the Church” theme song [I Will Never Be (the Same Again)] at various times through the week. This includes a couple of little boys whose parents told me they sing it all the time! As a parent of young children, I know what that can be like. But what a blessing to know our church is affirming the powerful truths the song contains through the week. Music is a wonderful tool for worship AND discipleship, how gracious of our God to give it to us for His glory and our good.

Next week we will consider the incredible prayer of the chorus, but this week we take a closer look at Verse 2.
There are higher heights, there are deeper seas,
Whatever you need to do, Lord do in me.
The Glory of God fills my life,
And I will never be the same again.

“Higher heights, deeper seas”? What? I am so thankful that the Lord gave us poetry as a tool to communicate truth. Things can be said in this form that require a little thinking to grasp the meaning. What I believe the writer is saying is simply, there is more to You, Lord than I have yet perceived thus far. More in every direction. Truths that are as yet too lofty for me: Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts. [Isaiah 55:9] There is more to Your ways than I have yet to discern: Your ways are deep. [Psalm 42:7] Thank You, Lord.

It’s one thing to acknowledge this, but an entirely different thing to pursue it. This next line may be the most transformative, challenging one in the entire song. It is for me right now. To give the Lord permission to do whatever He needs to do to change you until you are more like Him is something many believers never really do. If you ready to see God answer prayer pray this one. Trust me.
I thought about changing the next line to flow from the previous. It would have read “until the Glory of God fills me life.” Do you see how that flows? Do whatever you need to do until…then the Lord rebuked me. I do not have to wait for the Glory of God to fill my life. Though there is more of the Christ-life to experience, there is no more inheritance to be imparted. The Eternal One sees us having received it already, though we do not always live out that reality. We are seated with Christ in the heavenly realms. [Ephesians 2:6] For every believer, the Glory of God fills our lives. Amen! May it be so Lord.

The last line then flows logically from the third. Because the Glory of God fills my life I WILL never be the same again. This is not something we are hoping for, it is a transaction that has already been completed. This song is such a powerful affirmation of what Christ has already done in us to change our standing before Almighty God through His redemptive work. And yet the chorus points to the simple fact that there is more work for the Holy Spirit to do in us. Though Christ’s work in redemption finished, the Spirit’s work in sanctification is not.

We will consider His work in us and our desire for it next week.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: