Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Nahum 1:7

Dear Worshippers,

About 15 years ago a dear friend quoted this verse to me when I shared with him that my father was in the hospital with some yet to be determined cardiac issue. It came to mind again last week in the midst of another similar episode. Most of you probably know by now that my dad had a heart attack last week. He had some damage to his heart and is currently waiting on bypass surgery. I want to thank you for your prayers for him and my family. I truly could sense the lifting of the Spirit as many of you prayed for my dad and mom, me and our family.

I remember having a conversation last week which centered around this verse. I was assuring myself and those around me in that hospital room that God is good and He does all things well. For the believer, we find our refuge in Him when trouble comes at us. This verse affirms that trust.

In case you do not know what Nahum 1:7 says it is this, “The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him…” When we place our trust in Him He cares for us. Through the trouble. Did you see that? It does not say, a refuge from times of trouble. You know it well, we face troubling times. But God is always there with us, showing His goodness to those with eyes to see. It is not always so easy to see though…

I was pretty composed through most of the day of Thursday. When I prayed with our family around dad’s hospital bed that night I broke down. I broke down again on the phone with a family friend as I relayed the news. I tried later to understand why I would cry at those times. I still don’t have an answer, but it did occur to me that though I do not understand the circumstances, through my tears I could still clearly see the goodness of our God. Even though I was struggling with the thought of possibly losing my dad, I was truly overwhelmed with how good God was to us, and continues to be.

I pray I will maintain that perspective as we wait on the surgery to be scheduled, and for all that will follow. Thank you for your prayers for my family. They are much appreciated.

Next week…With Liberty and Justice for All.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: