Tuesday, August 21, 2007

They’re Back

Dear Worshippers,

If you have driven anywhere near Morgantown in the last few days you are aware of one thing for certain. The students are back. You have probably sat in traffic where for the last three months you were whizzing along. I want to encourage you with a particular perspective as those students clog the arteries of our otherwise sleepy little berg.

Each student has come to study at WVU with a particular objective. Some have come for a degree, others have come for a good time, if they get a degree, fine. Some are studying chemistry, others are trying to find it in a relationship. Some have come to learn how to teach, others already think that have everything figured out. MANY OF THEM NEED JESUS! I DID!

In the fall of 1990, I entered West Virginia University as a student in the College of Creative Arts. Little did I, know that God was going to draw me to Himself very creatively through a number of my classmates. I was pursing a Bachelors Degree in Music. Little did I know, God was already using that love to draw me to Himself, who would become my First Love. God was orchestrating my life, absolutely no pun intended, to bring me to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, and I did not have a clue.

How many students have arrived in Morgantown as lost as I was? Everyone of them loved by the Father and gently being draw to Him. Many will miss His leading, but a few will follow. Will you pray for them?

Some of them are future pastors. Others are missionaries. Most will be faithful followers who remember their coming to (or back to) Jesus while they were at WVU. Don’t you want to be a part of that? Prepare yourself for the part God would have you play by praying. And in your prayers listen. God may just ask you to do something that will be a little outside of your comfort zone, but will put you in a place where you can touch a student, or a number of them, with His love.

I want to also encourage you to pray for our College Church. This is the primary vehicle of our reach into the WVU student population. Pastor Smith is laboring with his leadership team to provide a place for students to belong and become more like Jesus. Please pray for them as they communicate the Gospel to as many students as they can.

Yes, they’re back, and the streets are clogged. Clogged with opportunity. The opportunity is yours to pray for them while you are sitting in that traffic, and pray for yourself to help them find their way to the Savior.

What would He have you do?

In Christ,

Pastor Scott


No comments: