Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Growing

Dear Worshippers,

Have you noticed over the last few weeks that everything has greened up? I was away for a week leading up to Memorial Day and when I returned it was like God had turned on the green. Leaves were bursting forth from the large tree behind my house providing a lovely covering, along with all the other trees in my yard. It was wonderful to return from Florida to all this green

But weeds were also growing. It had been almost two weeks since I had mowed my lawn and done some weeding, and it showed. My yard was in desperate need of some attention. There were weeds in my landscaping beds and steps going down around the house. Weeds, weeds everywhere. Some maintenance was needed.

How about in your life? Have you come through the winter and spring to find your spirit bursting with life? Are the weeds choking out the growth God is bringing? Maybe God is doing a wonderful thing in your life, and at the same time something is choking out that wonderful thing. Some maintenance is needed.

Where do you go to do maintenance on your soul? God's Word.

I was reminded of it's importance in the growth of our relationship to God last week. We must read it, for it uncovers to us the areas of our soul that need attention. It shows us where we need to grow, and what needs weeded out. But the challenge for us is to read it as more than a maintenance manual.

We must look to God’s Word as a way to discover God, not like a self-help book.

The difference is that of reading the Bible to learn how to lead a successful life and reading it to discover the God who has revealed Himself. I hope you are doing the latter.

Are you reading the Bible? I certainly hope so. If you are reading it, what is your perspective on it. I hope you are reading it to discover God, and not just to help yourself. If you are reading it to discover God, you will help yourself. You will do some weeding. You will grow.

When people look at you, I pray they will see the life of Christ growing every day. I pray the same for myself.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: