Tuesday, December 12, 2006

In Need of Rescue

Dear Worshipers,

I think one of the things that really amazes me about the Christmas story is how unaware we are that we are in need of rescue. God on the other hand was totally aware. Before we could even realize our need He has already made our rescue available through the sending of His only Son. All that is required for us to do is make the call.

This was brought home to me this morning. I was going around town taking down the roadside signs that I had scattered in various places. [If you put any out, thank you and please be certain to get them down soon.] I ended up going by the church to take down the banners as well. I had Josiah, our 19 month old, with me and figured since it was still pretty cold I would leave him strapped in with the van running so that he would not get cold. You see where this is going.

I returned to the van a few minutes later to retrieve a tool to finish the job and realized the van was locked. I believe it must have a feature I did not know about that locks the doors after a period of time if the van is running. That is the only explanation I can imagine, other than my somehow locking the doors accidently on my way out of the van. All that to say, I needed rescued, or more accurately Josiah did.

I called AAA but as I was on hold I decided to try a different course. My sense of urgency was heightened as I watched Josiah in tears inside the van wondering why I was not coming to his aid. I believe the Lord brought Bill Rumble to mind. I figured he could help, or would know the fastest course of assistance. I was right. He informed me that the fire department will come and unlock your car if you have a child inside.

Once I swallowed my pride, I made the call. I could here the sirens even before the 911 dispatcher was finished talking to me. I was humbled as four firefighters jumped out and rescued my son in a matter of seconds. Almost before I could sign the waiver excusing them of potential damage to the vehicle, the door was open. They loaded up with smiles on their faces even before I could calm Josiah's tears.

As I sat in the front seat holding Josiah and recovering from the ordeal, I reflected on the rescue. The system was already in place when I made the call. The response was immediate. The situation was remedied quickly with no pain to me other than a little humility. The feeling of resolution was sweet.

The parallels to the work of our Rescuer, Christ Jesus, were so clear to me this morning. By coming at Christmas, then dying at Easter, He has instituted a system by which we can be rescued from our sin. This was in place long before we could call on Him. His reponse is immediate when we call. He remedies our situation. The resolution He brings is sweet.

All this, and then another thing occurred to me even as I was writing. I placed the call, and Josiah was rescued. Who in your life are your calling out to the Rescuer for? They are not aware of their need but you are. Ultimately, they will have to turn to Christ, but you can call out to Him on their behalf.

I am thankful that Jesus is my Rescuer and that He is poised to jump into action whenever a call comes in, whether on my behalf or anyone else’s.

In Christ,
Pastor Scott

No comments: