Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Preparing for Heaven: Getting to Know Jesus

Dear Worshipers,

As I drove across campus this morning on my way to church, I was praying. I noticed a young man walking with his Vault energy drink in his hand and his backpack loaded with the days necessary supplies. It occurred to me that he seemed prepared for the day. Then the Lord prompted me with the question, “Is he prepared for eternity?”

That’s been on my mind a lot lately with Pastor David taking us through this series on heaven. In that time I have conducted the funeral of a long-time family friend, attended another in our church, and talked with a man in his late 30’s who is likely dying from an inoperable brain tumor. Being reminded that this life comes to an end prepares you for the next, if you are willing.

I thought of that young man on campus, and then all the others that I drove past. I prayed for them. I wonder who it is in their lives that Jesus wants to use to introduce Himself. I wonder who in your lives Jesus wants to introduce Himself to through YOU.

There are any number of people in your circle of influence that are not ready for eternity. They are not ready to meet their Maker and answer the question of why they did not accept the free gift of eternal life available in Jesus Christ. They have not made heaven their home.

As wonderful as it is to be able to look forward to heaven, how much more wonderful would it be to be able to take as many of those in your circle with you? To know they will be there. How can you know unless you ask them? How do you get the “forever” dialogue started? What open doors exist to even begin that conversation? I am glad I asked.

Jesus. No Other Name. I trust you have noticed the banners at the front of the sanctuary these last tow weeks. They present the title of our upcoming Christmas musical, and that truth that “there is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on to save them.” (Acts 4:12b) Invitations will be available beginning tonight to use as a tool to open the door for people to come and meet (and celebrate) Jesus.

Please take advantage of this tremendous opportunity. I think you will be surprised at peoples response when you invite them this. I am praying, and have asked a team of others to pray for this. I am trusting the Lord to open the doors of peoples hearts in this season. Will you reach out and put your hand on the doorknob? It may be open. If it is, take the opportunity to introduce your friend to Jesus, or at least invite them to a place where that can happen. It may be locked. But even if it is, leave the invitation there anyway. It may just be read and received just the same.

You may even be the one who knows that young man walking across campus. If not, then let the Lord use you in the life of the folks around you. Help them prepare for heaven by learning to call on the only name that can get them there.
In Christ,

Pastor Scott

Notes
♪ We have our first combined rehearsal for the Christmas musical TONIGHT at 6:30. There is a basketball game at 7:00 so plan accordingly for traffic and potential parking issues. I will see many of you TONIGHT.

No comments: