Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Are You Listening?

Dear Worshipers,

Over the last few weeks I have been challenging us to seek renewal and revival in our relationship with Jesus. As I continue on that theme this week and develop it I have a question for you, “Are you listening?” I am not referring to listening to me, but to the work of the Holy Spirit in your life.

If you were in church on Sunday, you know that Pastor David began a short series titled “GOD HAS SOMETHING TO SAY”. The focus of this series is listening to God. You will recall the powerful illustration he shared demonstrating how God is working to orchestrate things in our lives in an exhilarating way, if we will but listen to Him. I am looking forward to what He will say through our pastor in the coming weeks, but I want to get you thinking along these lines, living there, if you will. After all, many of you probable stood at the end of the service indicating your desire to listen to God. But I wonder what you have done about it since then. Here are some things to do, with a challenge at the end.

Stop. Wait. Listen. Open your Bible. Do it early. Do it late. Do it at lunch. Do it whenever you can. Stop whatever you are doing on the hour and just listen to the prompting of the Spirit. Ask Him to fill your mind with Christ. When you get an impulse to do something, before you dismiss it, talk with God about it and then LISTEN. He will explain to you what you should do or not do. Open your ears and listen with your heart. God’s still, small voice will become clear with some diligent training.

You know that listening to a person can be difficult. We begin formulating our response sometimes long before they finish, which means we really are not listening anymore. The same is true in our listening to God, so you need to discipline your listening. After all, how important are the things that God says to you.

An illustration I heard recently had to do with a $20 bill. If you found one floating across the ground sometime when you are out, what would you do? Pick it up, right? Suppose there was no one around that it obviously belonged to. Then what? You would probably put it somewhere secure so that you would not lose it like its previous owner.

Suppose you quiet yourself long enough to hear what God is saying to you. Are not His words more precious than a $20 bill. Certainly, but what would you do with it? Where would you secure those words so that you would no lose them? Do you have such a place?
Here is my challenge.

Journal. I have said this before and will say it again. The discipline of journaling is a joy. Though I am only averaging a journal or two a week this year. Those moments and memories are precious to me. They remind me of what God is saying. They help me to begin the process of responding to those words. Journaling will do the same for you.

If God speaks to you, and He will, I encourage you to secure those words. Somehow, somewhere. Secure them.
In Christ,

Pastor Scott

♪ Choir resumed last week, but you can join anytime. The sooner the better.
♪ Orchestra continues as scheduled. THIS WEEK.!!!
♪ Helpers are needed for Children’s Music in October. Let me know if you can assist Sarah and me. I have one blessed taker for Sarah and the preschoolers, and I really need at least one more for me and the older kids.
♪ I have ordered our devotional for the year, One Year with Jesus. They will cost $10, but will be worth every penny. They should be available by next week. Description: Ideal for anyone looking for a daily devotional to learn more about Jesus and grow closer to him. These 365 daily readings present the life of Christ in chronological order with selections from the four Gospels. Also included for each day are a Life Application note to provide insight and encouragement, and an information note to provide interesting background and helpful explanations. Another great book in the convenient and popular One Year format!

No comments: