Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What’s That Sound?

Dear Worshipers,

Two years ago in the middle of the night a terrible sound suddenly erupted from our basement. It was so loud it woke up little Isaac then just about two-and-a half years old. To him it sounded like a shooting gun, and it scared him. To me it sounded like my furnace, and that scared me.

After investigating, I realized that the fan had slipped on the blower motor shaft and was hitting the housing. I loosened the set screw, readjusted the fan and retightened the screw. I started it up and it seemed to work just fine, emphasis on the word seemed.

Over the last few weeks the problems has arisen again, and I have kept adjusting, until yesterday. One of the blower motor legs snapped. The wear and tear of the motor led, over time, to the eventual collapse of the functionality of the unit.

As I sat and pondered what to do, I think my countenance changed. Downcast would be a fair word to describe it. I know the psalm which instructs, “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” (Psalm 42.11) But my soul was not really willing to receive instruction. I was genuinely bummed. I was hoping I would be able to repair the unit. I was disappointed that a professional would need to look at it, and that I would have to pay them.

I was thinking on these things when Sarah reminded me that God sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. (Matthew 5:45) The Spirit began to adjust my attitude. Sarah reminded me of several things to be thankful for, one being the fact that it is not the dead of winter. My countenance began to change as I began to practice the praise part of 42.11

There are a lot of applications from this simple story. Let me draw a few for my benefit and hopefully yours as well.

Putting a patch on a problem only delays having to deal with it, and may make the dealing more difficult.
Some situations force you to realize that you may need to call for the help of someone more qualified than yourself to deal with them.
Dwelling on the problem only makes things worse.
Dwelling on the Lord only makes things better.
Sometimes you need a friend to give you a new perspective. Jesus always has a good one to offer.

The professionals can not get tome for about 4-5 days, but I am already praising the Lord for how He will resolve this. I believe that now I will be able to rest at night with the knowledge that no firearms will be sounding in my basement. Isaac will be happy about that too.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: