Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Pass It On

Dear Worshipers,

Do you remember that commercial from a few years ago which said, “Milk. It does the body good. Pass it on.”? That came to mind as I was drafting this communiqué to you, but with regard to blessings. My encouragement to you today. “Blessings. They do the spiritual body good. Pass them along.”

We are so blessed. Many of us take for granted our orchestra, choirs, soloists, ensembles and narrators who the Lord uses so beautifully, particularly this past Sunday as we shared My Utmost for His Highest. When you take something for granted, for cease to be thankful for it, feeling as though you expect it or deserve it. But not everyone feels that way. I received an email from one congregation member which started, “WOW! How can I put into words the inspiration your crew provided on Sunday...you were truly a blessing to the congregation.” The truth is we were blessing bearers and it was only our close proximity to the blessing that made us appear to be the blessing.

What struck me about the email was the thankfulness of it. I got myself on Friday thanking a bunch of people for making the seminar at church come off so well due to their preparation and excellence in hosting. A couple of them seemed surprised that I would be thanking them. I had to remind myself to do more of this, but then I realized it probably had more to do with the fact that people are not appreciated very much.

Here is where I am going with this thought. We are so blessed, and most of those blessings find their way to us from the hand of God, through a channel of some sort. This Sunday morning it was the choir and orchestra and supporting “crew”. For the people who scoffed up ALL the devotionals at the end of the service I trust it will be the words of Chambers. For others it will be something else, something seemingly insignificant, that will carry their blessing to them. How they respond has a lot to do with their perspective on the blessing and of course the Blessor, meaning the Lord.

Where are you today? Do you realize that you are doing far better than you deserve to be? Thank someone around you who is a part of your good condition. Thank the Lord for them and a million other blessings. Pass the blessing along through words of encouragement and acts of kindness that your good deeds may “shine for all to see [men and women, boys and girls] so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:16, amplification mine)

That is a life of worship. That is a life of blessing. That is a part of giving your utmost for His Highest.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: