Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Adore You

Dear Worshipers,

Come, Let Us Adore Him. That is my call to you in this season. Though a familiar phrase to all of us I pray it will ring with freshness in your ear and then your heart as we go through advent and into the Christmas season.

Many of our Christmas carols give us wonderful opportunity to sing of the story of the coming of the Christ. They let us proclaim that to each other and to send the greatest story ever told to those who have not yet heard it. But many of them do not give us much opportunity to sing to the Lord.

Adeste Fidelis [O Come All Ye Faithful] is no different. Though it has a passing line sung directly to Jesus, many of the lines are encouragements to come and adore Him, sung to the faithful, the angels, even the “citizens of heav’n above”. This is all good, but it leaves the joyful feeling a little incomplete. Paul Baloche, the writer of “Offering” which we sang this past Sunday, adds “O Jesus, we adore You” after the final chorus to give the worshiper a chance to respond to all that admonishment. I love that.

You may remember a chorus that I introduced to the church last Christmas titled “I Adore You”. [Check out worshipideas.com for a pdf of the song] The intent was the same as Baloche’s added chorus above, to give the worshiper the chance to sing to Jesus. As I was singing through this jus today, I encountered the Lord in a fresh way. One of the lines says, “Jesus, I was made to love You.” The Spirit quickened my conscience with that truth, and I worshipped the Lord, as I was made to do.

The challenge for me in that moment was the realization that I have many things on my agenda that I have to do. But I must be careful to be certain that I take the time to do the thing I was created to do. Even to allow all those things to be expressions of service to the Savior whom I love. If they are not, something must change, either my attitude or my agenda.

As you make your way through the busy holiday season, make certain you are taking time to adore Him. After all, that is what you were made to do. Come, let us adore Him.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: