Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Tuning

Last week we had our first crack at this and one thing I realized is that I need to be more precise in the way I articulate my thoughts. I have always been a “wordy” writer, and will try to condense my convictions for this communiqué. Thanks for bearing with me as I share my heart, and hopefully help you tune yours.

Tuning. Let me make clear as we begin what it is I am talking about when I speak of tuning. To tune is basically to adjust to proper pitch. When we think of tuning our instruments we are conceding that there is a proper pitch and that each of us will adjust our instruments to sound that same pitch. In orchestra we do this most of the time. Our guitarists do this every time, either with a tuner, a machine designed to tell them how to adjust their strings, or from a note on the piano. We tune because our instruments have a tendency to go “out” of tune, or away from the “proper pitch”. When we fail to tune our instruments to that pitch things sound terribly wrong, even painful.

The same is true in our spiritual lives as in our musical ones. We must “tune our hearts to sing [God’s] grace”. In so doing, we concede that God has established that “pitch” (Himself, His purposes, and His ways), and we adjust our lives to it. Tuning once in a while is not enough. We must tune often because our lives have a tendency of matching other pitches we hear, and joining in with other songs. If we want to make music of our lives that is a pleasing sacrifice to God, we must realign ourselves to Him, the Tuner. When we fail to tune our hearts to His, things often feel terribly wrong, even painful.

So my word to you today is this. When was the last time you allowed the Tuner to make some adjustments in you? When did you last listen closely for the “proper pitch” in His voice and tune your life to it. Amid the clamor of other sounds, it can be difficult to hear it so it is important to begin each day in tune. That can only happen if you take the time to quiet yourself, listen to Him, and then Him make the adjustments that need to be made so you can go through your day singing His grace. If you failed to do that this morning, take a few moments right now to tune, and determine that tomorrow you will tune before you attempt to make any music to the praise of His glorious grace.

Constantly Tuning to Jesus,

Pastor Scott

No comments: