Tuesday, February 08, 2011

First Love

Sunday morning retuning: One thing Pastor Paul is not short of – PASSION! And what a blessing that is to us. You heard it load and clear “Love the Lord your God” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” As certainly as that image of him holding Levi is etched in your minds, allow these truths to be etched unmistakably into your lives.

Dear Worshipers,

The President of the C&MA, Gary Benedict included in a communication to official workers last week a wonderful personal story that helps us consider our love for God from a different perspective. I share it with you here:

I’d like to share an experience with you from my local church ministry days. If you don’t identify with this story, please pass it along to someone you know who could use some encouragement.

In Revelation 2, John received a message from Jesus to deliver to the church at Ephesus. The message contained the results of their examination. On part one, the grade was an “A.” “I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary” (Revelation 2:2-3).

But part two didn’t go as well. “Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place” (4-5). Part one of the exam looked pretty good on the outside. But part two went deeper and looked at the heart.

As a young pastor I experienced a similar assessment from our Lord. On the outside everything looked good. People were getting saved, our church was growing, and we were pushing back the darkness in our community. We sponsored evangelistic banquets and other large group events. One encouraged city leader stated after one of the banquets, “More was accomplished for God in the city tonight than has been accomplished in years.”

Hard work and perseverance were achieving fantastic results! By percentage of growth, we were the fastest growing church in The Alliance at that time. But then came part two: While pressing toward the goal, my heart had drifted from a passion fueled by unreserved love for Jesus. While achieving great results on the outside, I was growing empty and tired inside.

The Master had the same three words for me that He spoke to the Ephesians: Remember, repent, return.

• He graciously challenged me to remember the days when infatuation with Him motivated my achievements. When I was seeking Him, the results followed.

• He exhorted me to repent—to turn from any lesser motive and live for Him. I had Kingdom priorities but not “first love” motives. Obedience, duty, and obligation had obscured my vision, and I wasn’t captivated by Jesus.

• He invited me to return to the place of refreshing and true energy for service—to an unencumbered love for my Savior. It is at that place, filled with His Spirit and occupied with His presence, that I found true rest for my soul.

I learned a valuable lesson: Jesus’ words in Revelation 2 were as much for me as for the church in Ephesus. Sometimes I need to take time to revisit that special relationship I share with my Lord. I was busy with ministry and things were going well, yet I had drifted from the best place.


I found that very encouraging and challenging. I hope you will as well.

Jesus, speak to me about my love for You. My life and ministry must flow from there so I must be healthy. Help me Lord to see it clearly.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: