Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Highest Purposes

Dear Worshipers,

Last week I wrote encouraging you to set some goals. I gave you a biblical example of the overarching goal that encompasses each of our lives, Christ-likeness. I want to give you another Scripture to consider today as you prayerfully place some goals before you to guide your living.

In a book we are reading as a staff, there is a section titled “Radical, Immediate Obedience”. I know, when I read that I was a little hesitant to flip the page, but wanting to be conscientious I did. The author wrote about the need to guard against comfortable disobedience, rationalizing our unwillingness to fully obey by doing a little less than God has called us to do. He spoke of the need for repentance when we fail to obey, citing Saul and David as bad and good examples respectively. Then came the section that really hit me, and here is where it ties in to our lives and worship.

If you stay away from sin, you will be like one of those dishes made of purest gold-the very best in the house-so that Christ Himself can use you for His highest purposes. [2 Timothy 2:21, The Living Bible]


His highest purposes! Wow. That jumped off the page at me. I consulted several other translations and no others read like this. Most had wording like, “every good work” or something to that effect. [Keep in mind TLB is a paraphrase.] Still, I think there is something profitable to be mined from this.

Certainly, all of the work that God has called us to is noble and honorable. But there are many things that we could set our hearts and minds on that are less than God has called us to do that might be regarded by many as worthy of causes to spend our lives pursuing. These lesser purposes can consume us and become a good reason for not doing the higher things God has actually called us to do.

Though these lesser/higher purposes may be different for you and me let me give you an example. I am confident that part of God’s higher purposes for me is the ministry I exercise on Sunday morning, leading God’s people in worship. I could be involved in a lesser role in the same activity, but that would not be my pursuing God’s highest purposes in my life.

The question I want to pose to you is this. Are you fully invested in God’s highest purposes, or have a myriad of lesser purposes diluted your focus and rendered you ineffective? Consider this question before our Lord and commit to become a dish of pure gold.

Jesus, I want to be engaged in Your highest purposes. Reveal to me if I have rationalized by behavior and soothed my conviction with good works. I am fully dependent on Your leading me and using me.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: