Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Goals

Dear Worshipers,

I read an article a couple of weeks ago, right after the turn of the year that talked about coming up with some goals, both personally and pastorally…

I saw a note that Sarah had written with regard to a goal she has set for herself that challenged and motivated me…

I am feeling led to prayerfully consider writing down some things I hope to accomplish with God’s help in 2010…

And I want you to join me.

Setting and striving for goals is a very biblical concept. Sure, management and self-help books will speak of the necessity of writing down realistic and measurable goals, but they did not invent this idea. God did. This is how Paul put his goal setting.

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. [Philippians 3:12-14, NIV]


What powerful word! Forgetting what is behind…straining toward what is ahead…pressing on toward the goal to win the prize. That’s the best goal anyone could have, but there are also lesser goals that are very important, some of them being steps in reaching that ultimate one.

I want to encourage you to pray and write down at least one goal. Maybe it is something short-term, in the next month, or by summer, or by the end of the year. Be realistic. “I will loose 98 pounds this in 2010”, would not be a good example. Make it measureable. “I will grow closer to Jesus”, another bad example.

Take some time this week to ask the Holy Spirit to guide you to set at least one goal. Write it down and put it where you will see it regularly. Tell somebody about and ask them pray for you that you will be able to press on toward reaching it. Make a plan to take steps to see it fulfilled. Give glory to God when it is.

Jesus, help me set a goal that will help me press on. I want to be more like You, and that means taking steps toward to the goal that you have called me heavenward to attain. Fill me with Your Spirit as I do.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: