Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lost People Matter to God

Dear Worshippers,

It is that time of year again and we have three missionaries who have traveled from around the world, literally, to be with us. As always they encourage our resolve to partner with them in every way to complete the mission the Lord Jesus has given us, “Go and make disciples of all nations…” Matthew 28:19-20 As always they are exhorting us to make missions personal, to consider our role in completing this task. But this year for me is a little different, and I think I know why.


It is this theme, Lost People Matter to God. Seems pretty obvious, and fairly innocuous, until the Holy Spirit gets involved. We are asking the questions, “Does he matter to God? Does she matter to us? Does she matter to you?” The answer all of us would give is an unqualified “YES!” The problem comes when we begin to evaluate how our lives demonstrate that reality, OR NOT.


Our missionary from Central Asia, Eric, challenged us Sunday morning to cover our 50 yards. He shared a story about rescue workers looking for a lost boy in the woods and each being responsible for 50 yards. I though of Jacob Allen’s rescue last fall in the West Virginia hills. I though of a few lost people who are in my “50 yards”.


Then he talked about carving out time to invest in the lost. He said if our schedule does not reflect a passion to reach the lost, we are not going to be very effective at it. I was challenged personally because I have some acquaintances that I am trying to reach, but I spend little time with them. I am not certain yet how that is going to change, but I believe it must. I am confident that I am setting an example for people to follow and if I am not reaching the lost, that example will indeed be followed, to the detriment of many more lost people.


There is another factor at work for me this year. There is another reality I am facing. There is another example I am looking to. That is Pastor David. I will explain what I mean by that next week, but until then, I hope you will try to make it out to some of the special meetings this week. But be warned, you better have your heart ready to be challenged. Join us as we live this Call

together.


In Christ,


Pastor Scott

No comments: