Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bittersweet

Dear Worshippers,

Wikipedia puts it like this: “Bittersweet refers to a combination of the standard tastes of sweetness and bitterness, and is often used as a metaphor for experiences which have elements of both happiness and sadness.” That is an apt description of what transpired two days ago in our morning worship service, an experience which had elements of both happiness, remembering the lives and ministry of Rev. David and Mossie Goodin, and sadness, bidding them farewell.

In conversation following the service someone used this word and it really struck me. I had been dealing with all these thoughts and feelings without a way to encapsulate them. This really does the trick because though I am truly sad to say goodbye to these dear friends, I am also exciting for them and what the Lord has for our church in the future. This experience is bittersweet. Though mostly it is just bitter right now, I am trusting the Lord for the sweetness to be overpower in His time as the ministry of the next man begins to have an impact on us all.

As we bid Pastor David farewell we remember his ministry and service to the Lord. His impact on our church will linger as certainly as our fond memories of him will. We can honor that memory best by doing the things he taught us so well over these years.

Graciousness. I have to say that this is one of the main things I have learned from Pastor David. I have seen him deal graciously in some difficult situations. I have received his counsel to do the same because I had witnessed him do so. I have seen the Lord in him and through him in those moments.

Gentleness. One of the most powerful imagines in mind of Pastor David is of him bending down to look children in the eye as he talked with them. His concern for the smallest in our midst and his obvious love for them is something I endeavor to model. Again, Jesus has shown through in those moments as well.

Patience. I know of many situations where Pastor David exhibited patience that can only be explained by the presence of the Lord. Some of them, of which I am not at liberty to speak, cause me to simply shake my head in the awareness that I have not yet attained that level of longsuffering.

I am sure that you have fond memories of Pastor David and Mossie. As you reflect on them in these days, give praise to God, and purpose to have a similar impact on the people around you. That way, when it is your time to move on to your next assignment, whether in this world or the next, for those you have touched your departure will be bittersweet as well.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: