Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Tune My Heart to Sing Thy Grace

Dear Worship Ministry Member,

For a couple of years now, I have wanted to communicate with all of you a little more regularly. My intention is that my words to you would be informational, but also motivational, and hopefully and ultimately transformational. Our primary focus being on hearts before hands. Accordingly, I am going to try to begin a Worship Ministries contingent to Pastor David’s THURSDAY THOUGHTS. It should have some concepts that will aid you in tuning your hearts to sing God’s praise 24/7, followed by helpful information about the upcoming week of ministry, and beyond. We will not call this the inaugural run, but instead a trial period to see if it is as helpful and useful as I hope it will be. Yours prayers in this matter would be appreciated.

TUESDAY TUNINGS

As I considered what to call this ongoing project, I wanted to pattern it after Pastor David’s in as many ways as possible. The day of the week on which it will be generated and a summation of the actual body of work were foundational to this concept. I wanted a different day of the week, and preferred earlier so as to come before rehearsals on Wednesday, and give more time to ponder before Sunday. I am not in my study on Monday, but Tuesday also meets the aforementioned demands while also providing time to reflect on the previous Sunday while it is still a fresh memory. Thus, TUESDAY.

Then in addition to the summation of the work, THOUGHTS for Pastor David, I liked the whole alliteration thing. Actually, I got hung up on it for a time, until my Lord delivered me. I am certain you all can understand what I am talking about as you consider your own personality strengths, which can become weaknesses if not managed well. Anyway, as I was reflecting on the name of this project about a year ago, the Lord brought the text of the hymn “Come Thou Fount” to mind. Particularly the first stanza.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy never ceasing, Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, Sung by flaming tongues above;
Praise His name-I’m fixed upon it-Name of God’s redeeming love.

The Holy Spirit quickened my mind to the first phrase in particular. Come, Thou Fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace; My prayer through considering this ministry communication tool was indeed that God would use it (Come) and prepare our hearts (Tune) to communicate the fullness of Who He is. In those moments, I believed the Lord clarified this vision, through the words of the hymnist. I am certain a similar thing has happened to many of You. {Thank You, Lord for speaking to us in a variety of ways.} I want God to tune our hearts to sing of His matchless and glorious grace, and I will do whatever it takes for me to help you in that, in obedience to my Lord’s command. Thus, TUNINGS.

As we begin and continue this journey together, may our Lord Jesus, come and tune our hearts to sing loud songs of praise like the angels above to the glory of His grace and His redeeming love.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: