Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Confess: Agree with God

Last week I got a little ahead by talking about repenting, or so I thought. Pastor David will be taking us there this week. I was a little frustrated by the fact that I had gotten my weeks confused and had jumped the gun a bit. Then the Holy Spirit, that still, small voice of God said something to me. He told me that what I had written was what He wanted for that day. I trust that someone needed to hear that last week. I did not get any email confessions, but I did not need to.

You see the Spirit of God reminded me in those moments that He is sovereign. He took my words, about a topic still a week off in our prayers, and used them for His glory. He reminded me of that, then I had the choice to agree with Him or not. You know we all make similar choices every day. God shows us something about Himself, His purposes or His ways, then we have the choice. We will agree with God or not.

You might say, “Well, I can agree with God about something, and still choose to do things my way.” I would beg to differ. Allow me to explain. If you agree with God, then you are saying that He is to you Who He says He is. If you disagree, then you are saying He is not. I am talking about the difference between mental ascent and true confession. That is the difference between merely saying you believe something and living like you believe it. Does your way of living reflect that you believe Jesus Christ is Who He says He is? Does your lifestyle confess that your life is in Christ? Do you really agree with all that stuff we sing?

I certainly hope to can answer a resounding “YES!” to those questions. If you can not, then their may be a need to repent. Resolve now to agree with God about anything He shows or says to you. Let us confess with our lips and our lives that Jesus is not just Lord, but He is our Lord.

It comes back to “tuning” this way. We confess that what God says is true. We agree that He has “perfect pitch”. He never sings off key. He never misses a beat. He never misses an entrance or cutoff. He is the not only the composer, but also the arranger, orchestrator, and conductor. If it seems like you are not in unison with Him, He is not the One who is off. You are. But take heart, He can bring you back in concert with His original composition. As the arranger of your life, He can manipulate your “mistakes” for your good. He can orchestrate some incredible changes that you could not have anticipated. He can even conduct the affairs in your life in a way that makes a pleasing sound in His ear and yours.

It all begins with confessing that He can and that you want Him to. I look forward to hearing how He is going to do just that for each of you who confess His glory.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: