Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Savoring

Sunday morning retuning: As we begin our journey through Advent, this season where we anticipate God’s appearing, we were challenged to ask the question, “Can His Kingdom power be seen in my life?”  Jesus appeared to apply Kingdom power to our lives, so welcome it!  You can find some resources for this powerful journey here, including sermon-based questions to dig deeper.


The season of Advent began in earnest this past Sunday, but the preparations at our house had begun a few days before that.  The Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving, and sometime even while we are still digesting the turkey feast, we begin to adorn our home for the season.  I love many parts of this activity, but probably my least enjoyable is dealing with the Christmas lights, especially the ones that probably need replaced, but I try to stretch another season out of.



While struggling with a particularly difficult string  of blue icicle lights on Saturday, I caught myself asking if all the hassle was worth it.  I quickly caught myself, and attempted to bolster my waning enthusiasm with the reality that light is such an important part of this season because it reminds us that in the longest, darkest of nights, God sent His Light into the world.  I really do love this season.  Thank You, Lord, for all we have to celebrate.


Sharing those thoughts on Sunday morning heightened my awareness of how easy it is to lose sight of the real reason we celebrate.  How easy it is to get caught up in the trappings that are only meant to help us represent and symbolize what drives the celebration.  And this is not only true of Christmas.


I have a couple of pretty vivid images in my mind from Sunday, but they have nothing to due with your typical thoughts of Christmas celebrations.  No, instead they both center around another celebration, Communion.  And they both caught me off guard.


The first was when Pastor Myron asked us to lift in unison the small, acrylic cups we were holding containing the juice representing the blood of Christ shed for us.  It was a beautiful, humble and worshipful moment seeing those hands raised, honoring Jesus for His sacrifice.  Imagine little cups in each of the hands below and you can begin to get the idea, though I wish I could have snapped a quick picture.



The second, from only moments later, was more intimate and even more surprising.  After we drank together, I dutifully put my cup in the little holder in the pew and looked over to see my eight-year old sipping the juice, savoring each drop.  He was innocently, quietly and slowly enjoying it.  It was as if the Lord asked me, “When was the last time you enjoyed my sacrifice for you like this, this much?”  I wondered if I ever really have.  


I was 19 when I first took Communion, so way past the tender age of my son.  The years that have passed, and all the knowledge of Scripture I have acquired, have taken me to a very deep and serious appreciation for the cup.  But I hope I have not lost some of the simple wonder and pleasure of partaking along the way.


There is a great lyric I learned several years ago titled, “Where is the Child?”  Though the title might lead you to think it is some quest for some child out there, though it is centered around the Babe in the Manger, it really begs the question, “Where is He in me?”  One line asks, “Where is the joy of that tiny Boy, and where’s the laughter and glee?  I’ve wandered afar from that holy star of the Child of Galilee.”


What might we learn if we look closely at the Christmas child, and any other children He brings into our lives today.  Remember, the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.  Matthew 19:14  I leave you today with that question from above, and these thoughts…


Jesus help me to savor the gift of Your life.  I so easily become distracted, enjoying any number of lessor gifts.  This Advent season, and all year long, keep me from becoming callous to Your presence.
In Christ,


Pastor Timothy

No comments: