Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Resting...Resting


Sunday morning retuning: I was retuning Sunday.  For the first time in a long time, I was not in any church service of any kind.  I actually did not feel like being anywhere either.  My family was all at church and the house was quiet.  Weird!  Helped me realize how much I really enjoy getting together with that quirky bunch of folks called the church...  

"It is advised that at least one week be taken off of school or work.  Gradually increase your activity each day."  Funny how mandatory rest can seem on one hand like a week of vacation, and on another like a prison sentence.  I guess it's really all about perspective, right?  Well, that's what I am working on today it appears.

And there is a difference between active rest and passive rest  The former I suppose is filled with purposefulness and meaning, the later seems devoid of true significance.  I know I need the rest, but there are other things I would like to do.  I feel like I am waffling back and forth between the two.  Maybe blogging about it is my way of being passively active?

As I was reflecting on resting this morning, the text of a wonderful, old hymn came to mind, "Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting."  That link will take you to the text and the original, or at least widely recognized tune for this great text.  Though the entire hymn is rich with imagery of the experience of resting in Jesus, I really love the line in the 3rd stanza which speaks of His love which "Compasseth me round with blessings, Thine is love indeed."  My experience of His love for me flows directly out of my simple trust in Him.

I came across a newer version of this old hymn about ten years ago, and it included those words, but I could not find one today for you to listen to that did.  I like this version by the Shelly Moore Band best of the ones I heard because the tempo helps me imagine resting better than many others.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  Jesus, I am Resting, Resting


Let me leave you with a question.  Are you resting today in the joy of what Jesus is?  If not, what's stopping you?  Pain, obligations, responsibilities, commitments, friendships, family, work, debt, plans, dreams, etc.  Determine today to find out the greatness of His loving heart.

Jesus, help me and my friends to rest in you today.  Whether we are active or passive, draw us close to You.  Whether we are working or waiting, teach us to rest. 

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: