Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Beginning…Again

I am not typically one of those people who makes New Year’s resolutions. And that’s not because I dislike change. One of the interesting aspects of my personality is that I not only embrace change, I actually seek it out to some extent. For example, those of you who know me best know that I would rather try every restaurant in town before making a return visit to any one restaurant in particular.

That being said, I still find that there are some things that I have wanted to change for some time, but honestly have just not found the inspiration required to make the change. I set goals and accomplish some projects that are important because of the relative sense of urgency attached to them. Others that may be equally important, or maybe even more so, lack that same sense of urgency.

So if I am not going to make a resolution, but there are things that I would like to see change, what should I do? I have decided to take them to Jesus and ask Him for the inspiration and resolve to make those changes. The turn of the year seems as good a time to do that as any, so I think I will begin…again.

There are a couple of things for me that immediately come to mind that I would like to change. No one is going to make those changes for me. I need to make some decisions and modify some behaviors if I want to bring them about, but I know I can not do it on my own. I have prayed before at this time of year something like, “Jesus, make me more like you this year, so that when I turn the corner into next year I can look back and see how much I have changed.” In some seasons I have succeeded in that, but more often that I care to admit I have not. I need His help to see change begin…again.

So what are those areas in your life that you would like to see change? That you know Jesus would like to help you change? Not sure? Allow me encourage you to take a few minutes in the next couple days and ask Him. You may be surprised at what He says! Even if you are not surprised, rest assured He has your best interests in mind, for He knows the plans He has for you. [Jeremiah 29:11]

Take some time, and begin…again.

Jesus, I want to be more like You. Help me to begin that process again as this New Year begins. May it result in my becoming more like You over the next 12 months.

In Christ,

Pastor Timothy

No comments: