Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Changes

Dear Worshippers,

For the last several weeks I have been challenging you to enter into a deeper life of prayer. I have asked you for a commitment to a prayer ministry for the worship life of our church, but really centered around knowing Christ better. I have been discouraged that so few of you have responded, but I took that discouragement to the Lord. I believe He has showed me a number of things.

Prayer is not for a few but for all of us. Jesus’ call to prayer in Matthew 9 was not issued to just the spiritual giants, but to all of us. We all need to be praying, and then going and serving. Prayer must be our first work , or all of our other work will be for naught. Let us pray.

This is not a guilt trip but a conviction course. I am not trying to guilt you into praying more. Jesus taught that the Spirit would come to convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment [John 16:8]. If you are feeling guilty for not praying, that is not from God. If you are feeling convicted to pray more, that is. It is not my words that bring conviction, but the work of the Holy Spirit.

Change is not a simple thing. What I am feeling compelled to ask you to do will require some changes in your life. You can not continue to spend your time the same way. You can not continue to practice the same set of spiritual disciplines. You must make some changes. That is no easy task. Jesus’ teaching of self-denial and cross-bearing demonstrate this.

It was this last one that really hit me today, first on a personal level and then broadening to include the ministry we share.

How are your resolutions going? A month into the New Year many people have long forgotten the resolutions they made, which likely would have required some changes in their lives. While mine was not a resolution, I have committed to more systematic prayer as I desire to grow in my relationship with Christ this year. I have failed in one area of this endeavor because I have not made the changes in my living to facilitate it.

I wonder how many of you are not willing to commit to pray because you are afraid you do not have the abitily to make the necessary changes in your life to fulfill the commitment? I want to encourage you to submit to the Holy Spirit and allow Him to amaze you with His ability. I am praying for a revival in our church. Will you be a part of that? Will you join me in prayer? Become an InterCessor today!

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

NOTES

CHOIR – Join us this week as we are continuing work on the Easter musical “I’ve Seen Jesus”. Click here to hear some clips and read a brief description.

ORCHESTRA – Upcoming Schedule We play next this week, 2.10 and then follow the forthcoming schedule. EASTER schedule is attached. Click here to hear some clips and read a brief description of it.

DVD’s – I have them for “There is Peace…” for those of you who would still like one. At the office and with me on weekends.

January 2008

Dear InterCessors,

Thank you for answering the call to prayer. For a long time the leadership of the Alliance has said that prayer must be our first work. This ministry, a broad group of people praying collectively for the worship life of our church, will ensure that we keep the main thing the main thing. I believe we can move mountains. I believe Jesus gave us great authority that we too often fail to exercise. Thank you for being willing to “get in shape”, or rather to assist the worship life of our church to do so, through your prayers.

This is the commitment I would like to ask you to make. I am calling the InterCessors to spend 2008 as follows.

1. Praying everyday through a monthly prayer card (3-5 minutes)

2. Waiting on the Lord following this to hear His voice (1-2 minutes)

3. Praying on Sunday morning for the worship experience of the church gathered.

4. Praying the rest of the week for the worship experience of the work dispersed.

Eventually I would like to add a fifth phase, possibly later this Spring once the team is a little larger

5. Praying once a month during the service with other members of the team for God to reveal Himself and His people to respond.


Just reply that you would like to be an InterCessor and I will add you to the list for monthly updates.

No comments: