Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Is there Peace in the World Tonight?

Dear Worshippers,

Following a rest stop in our journey through our core values of worship last week, I sense the Lord leading me to take a detour for this next season. It is my expectation that this detour will lead us back to the path we were traveling together, but for now, let us enjoy this road that lies immediately before us-the Advent and Christmas seasons.

This is a good time to begin a new path since it marks the beginning of the year. Before you think that the stress of the Christmas musical has through my mind off by a month bear in mind that I am referring to the Christian or Church Year, not the calendar. The Church Year, liturgically speaking, begins with Advent. You will remember that advent means appearing. This is the season when we remember that God our King promised to appear, and then kept His promise by sending His Son, Jesus, our Prince of Peace.

The musical we will share next week, makes the statement “There is Peace in the World Tonight” in it’s title and then reinforces that through narration, drama and song. The angels got it right when they said, “Peace on earth”, although the headlines might lead you to believe there proclamation was premature. You see peace is not the absence of conflict, peace is the presence of God.

Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” [John 14:27] Often this peace seems allusive, just beyond our grasp, but it is found when we rest in Him, not allowing our hearts to be troubled or ourselves be afraid. Sounds easy, right?

I am facing something today in my personal life that kind of has me reeling. I am troubled. I could allow these circumstances to dictate the state of my soul, or I can allow God to do that. Ultimately, this is a response I must choose based on truth God has revealed.

What are you facing today? Will you allow it to rob you of the peace of God? Or rather will you choose to respond to it with the peace of God? I know the choice that I am determined to make. We sang it in the service Sunday night: “Jesus, I am resting, resting in the joy or what Thou art. I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.” AMEN. There is peace in the world tonight.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: