Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Overtly Christian

Dear Worshipers,

There are a lot of things I would rather not be called. Overtly Christian” is not one of them. To put it another way. Of all the things someone might be inclined to call me, I would welcome that moniker.

When the article at the top of the page last week was titled “Choir claims discrimination”, I have to admit I wondered just how accurately the reporter would tell my version of the on-going saga with our local “Celebration of America”. I was very impressed with the representation. My view was expressed clearly and concisely, the second being entirely the responsibility of the reporter.

In a nutshell, I claimed that we were forbidden to participate in the local celebration of July 4th because, as had been said to me, “your program is too overtly Christian.” I remember the statement in some measure due to it’s redundancy, but even more so for the clarity of it. No minced words here, nor any detectable malice mind. The “Celebration of America” chair claimed it was simply an issue of time. [If that were the case, why would the work need to be reviewed as it was?]

All that to say, I think there was clear discrimination. In our country, with the freedoms that so many have fought to protect, I find this unacceptable. And I am not alone. With my voice echoes a number of others who share my view. With Paul and many others I say “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.” Romans 1:16

I think of Jesus words, “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.” Luke 9:26 I do not want to be guilty of such an indictment. I want to stand and say that I am a follower of Christ, in every arena, in every moment, in every way I can as God gives me strength.

I do not want Jesus to be ashamed of me. I want Jesus to say of me when I finish my course, “Thank you for being overtly Christian.” Openly, clearly, obviously, blatantly, visibly, explicitly Christian. Don’t you?

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: