Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Heaven

Dear Worshipers,

When was the last time you thought about heaven? I believe it was Randy Alcorn who rightly asked, "Why do we spend so little time thinking about where will spend so much of forever?" Heaven was brought into a much clearer focus for me last week through a couple different experiences. Thank You, Jesus.

I received a call last Tuesday that a family friend was in the hospital after falling and hitting his head. This is complicated by the fact that he has had cancer in his jaw, and currently has a tumor in his brain. They have been through a lot in the last two years. As I spoke with his wife I shared words of hope and prayed for healing, but remain uncertain as to whether this friend is truly ready for heaven. I left the hospital thanking the Lord that in heaven there will be no more pain.

On Friday, I shared that Good News with a woman named Sherry. She had come to the church looking for help. She was at the end of herself, literally in tears. Living in this world had taken its toll on her, and she was ready for heaven. As we talked I discerned that Sherry was homeless, hopeless, and helpless. Not anymore.

I asked her a few questions to discern her spiritual position. 1. If anything were to happen to you and you were to stand before God and he asked you, “Why should I allow you into my heaven?” what would you say? She answered with the common “works righteousness”, ‘I tried to do the right thing’. I followed that up with 2. Would you like to know how you can be certain you will enter heaven? She responded, “Absolutely”.

After explaining to her that her sin had separated her from God and that only Jesus could bring the chasm, she repented, turned to Christ, and I believe was gloriously redeemed. I say that because her countenance changed. Her tears were now ones of joy. She was ready for heaven.

I heard a wonderful testimony just this morning of another change of countenance. A friend whose mother had struggled with life for some time finally went to be with the Lord. In her final moments, they said “her entire facial expression changed.” In my friends’ words, “she went from struggling for breath, to relaxing, safe in His arms.” Even for the believer, the transition from earth to heaven can be fearful. But it need not be, as these words remind us. The reward the Lord has in store for those in Christ is unfathomable.

Think of heaven today. And live like its real, and your ultimate reward. Thank you, Jesus.


In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: