Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It Hurts, But I'll Play Again Someday

Dear Worshipers,

I try to play basketball a couple of times a week. While I couch it in my weekly planning as physically “sharpening the saw”, I do it in great measure because I really enjoy the game. I love making a nice pass or defensive play as much as sinking a long shot. Well, almost. [Let me encourage you to find some physical activity that you enjoy and engage in it regularly. Not only is it good for your body, it is recreative for your mind and soul as well.]

Last Friday my team was only one point from winning the game and I saw an opening that I thought I could squeeze through for the winning basket. Much to my disappointment, the gap closed too quickly and I stepped on someone's foot and really torqued my ankle. It was one of those, “O man this is really going to hurt” moments as I crumbled onto the court writhing in pain. I am not certain if the other players are faster than I think, or I am slower than I think, but nonetheless my miscalculation led to the quick demise of my ankle, and the game.

I got some ice packs and wrapped the ankle, put some compression on it and elevated it. As I lay there I thought of many things. My disappointment. My desire to finish the game. Whether some new shoes would provide more support, and maybe even make me faster. You know, delusions of a sort. I thought of how I would change that move next time. Here I was already thinking about getting back in the game, while my ankle was still swelling from the current injury.

As I got up to head to the locker room one friend asked, “So, what do you think?” To which I replied, “It's going to hurt, but I'll play again.” One of my other friends replied, “That's the spirit.” That's when it hit me. I was not going to let a setback like this keep me from doing that which I enjoy and know is good for me and those who love me.

So I ask you. What injury has sidelined you? I had someone tell me a couple of years ago that they had received so much criticism in serving the Lord that they simply stopped serving. My heart was so saddened by that, but I know it is probably the case with many a believer. Whether it is service in the church or out, let us not allow past injuries to keep us from getting back in the game.

A dear friend asked me on Sunday about my limp. When I explained the situation to him he chided me saying
that as we age we can still do many of the things that we could when we were younger, it just takes us longer to heal. Sad but true.

Some injuries make a comeback very difficult. Other factors may make recovery seem impossible. Determination is the key. Oswald Chambers said it like this, "My determined purpose is to be my utmost for His highest—my best for His glory.” January 1 I may be limping for a little while longer than I would have a few years ago, but I'll get back in the game soon anyway. Won't you do the same? The Coach is calling your name.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: