Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Calling All Intercessors

Dear Worshipers,

The last few weeks we have been examining the vision God has given us as a worship ministry. It is a pretty daunting task, not only within out our lives, but endeavoring to nurture it in the lives of others. It is a task that quickly reminds us of our need to prayer, specifically for God’s enabling.

Over a year ago I sensed God leading me to intensify my pastoral prayer. I have been praying for many of you with regard to a specific area or need. I am agreeing with you in prayer. We have seen some marvelous answers. Let me know how I can pray for you if you have not yet given me that opportunity.

Later in the year I felt God leading me to initiate a small group of men to pray for me, my family, and the worship ministries of the church on a regular basis. I recruited last fall and had positive response from six men. They were asked to pray every day through a short list of requests, then listen to God. They have been praying since last December. Last week I asked them each to pray on one assigned day each week for fifteen minutes for a particular area as well as the list. I am excited to see what God will do through their prayers.

For some time now I have been asking you to prayerfully consider involvement in an ongoing prayer ministry. In my previous pastorates, I have seen the benefit of this kind of concerted prayer by a dedicated team of prayer warriors. I could trace the hand of God in some situations as a direct result of their prayers, both private and public.

One time a few of them were praying during a Christmas musical. They came up to me during the intermission with tears in their eyes. They had a strong sense of the moving of the Holy Spirit, as did the rest of us, and they prayed for me and others before returning to their behind-the-scenes ministry. At the close of the musical, many people prayed to receive Christ. Those prayers availed much.

It’s time to for us to pray.

This is the commitment that I am asking you to consider.

1. Praying everyday through a monthly prayer card (3-5 minutes)
2. Waiting on the Lord everyday following this to hear His voice (1-2 minutes)
3. A quarterly “prayer encounter” lasting about 45 minutes
4. Praying during our Sunday morning service on a rotational basis

If this resonates with you, then please prayerfully consider making a commitment to pray. I will add you to my list and we will get going by early March. May God grant us favor as we work and wait for Him.

If you do not feel led to pray, or to make this commitment, that is alright. I trust that the Lord is raising up a team that will not include everyone. Some of you may have the gift of intercession. PLEASE JOIN US. Others may simply feel led to be involved in this way. Others may want to prayer, but not everyday. Find the place God has for you, and flourish there.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: