Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Praying for the Open Door

After a short hiatus we resume today. Two weeks ago I was in Cincinnati with Ben Siu leading in worship the missionaries who had gathered for General Council. [Thank you for your ministry Ben. It was a blessing.] Last week I was still enjoying the long Memorial Day weekend. So today, let us retune.

The biggest development in our worship ministries in that length of time was the beginning of another installment in the patriotic musical saga which began last year. We started work in late May uncertain of an offsite performance venue even though I had actively worked on securing such a site since last November. To make a long story short, I received a phone call from John Pyles that we can share at the Amphitheater on the riverfront at 3:00. Though still much earlier than I have envisioned, it is an open door, for now.

That is why I am writing about it today. I want to entreat your prayers that it will stay open. I am not surprised that in trying to coordinate the public proclamation of the Sovereign rule of God with any part of the municipal government we run into problems. [The musical we are sharing is titled One Nation Under God.] For this reason I want to ask you to pray that God will hold this door open through the next four weeks as we prepare and share this musical with a Combined Community Church Choir and Orchestra. There are people from other churches who have begun to see the vision and have joined us in fulfilling it.

I believe the Lord has laid this vision, this burden, on me and it is burning me up from within to share it. Indeed I feel like the prophet Jeremiah who upon considering just keeping the Word in described it as I fire shut up in his bones (20:9). I was reminded a few weeks ago during the Sunday evening service of this great prophet and the call of God on his life to speak the word of the Lord. Pastor Miller shared that though the prophet struggled privately with this call, when he found himself in the public setting he was bold. He remained faithful after a life of ministry with little results.

I expect that our experience will be different than Jeremiah’s, although there may be some who would like to silence us, who will hate us, and may want to kill us. It will be different in that we will see results. Will you pray with me to that end?

Almighty God,

  • Open the door for us to boldly declare your Sovereign authority over our nation, and each of our lives.
  • Bring the people that you want to hear this glorious message.
  • Yield fruit in our lives and theirs as we exalt you publicly.
  • Thank You, Lord for hearing our prayer.

In Christ,

Pastor Scott

No comments: